TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'K' v. 'W' television station callsigns

Re: 'K' v. 'W' television station callsigns

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:53:30 -0500

I wrote:

> The FCC has no record of this [WRTH St. Louis, Missouri] callsign.

Oops, my mistake. WRTH(AM), St. Louis MO, is licensed to Bonneville
Broadcasting of Salt Lake City. FCC database record:
<http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=wrth>.

> WIL-FM is licensed to St. Louis, and the transmitter is located in
> Missouri. FCC record (scroll down below WILL-FM) at:
> <http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=wil>

Whereupon PAT asked:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Is there a 'WIL' (one /L/) in
> St. Louis? The reason I ask is because there is a 'WILL'
> (two /L/) at the University of Illinois in Champaign, 580 KC
> on AM band.) PAT]

Yes. WIL-FM, St. Louis MO, is also licensed to Bonneville Broadcasting of
Salt Lake City. FCC database record:
<http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=wil>.

But there is no WIL(AM) -- what used to be WIL(AM) is now the
aforementioned WRTH(AM). The "-FM" suffix normally indicates an FM
station co-licensed with an AM station; however, if an AM station
changes its callsign, a co-licensed FM station retains the "-FM"
suffix.

WILL(AM), Urbana IL, is licensed to the Board of Trustees of the University
of Illinois. FCC database record:
<http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=68941>.

WILL-FM, Urbana IL, is also licensed to the Board of Trustees of the
University of Illinois. FCC database record:
<http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=wil>.

Neal McLain

Go to Next message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"
Go to Previous message: Mark Roberts: "Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page