TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cable Firms Raise Set-Top Box Rates

Re: Cable Firms Raise Set-Top Box Rates

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:15:06 -0700

On Jul 5, 1:03 pm, Deborah Yao, AP <a...@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> Cable companies are planning to charge more for set-top boxes to help
> pay for new, more expensive versions mandated by the Federal
> Communications Commission.

They also are pushing more channels onto box-only reception, so
consumers are forced to rent a box (not cheap) to get channels they
used to deliver fine on coax.

They advertised a box for "pennies a day". To me, that would mean at
most 10 cents per day, or $3.00 a month. No. The charge was $30.00 a
month, or a full _100_ pennies a day. To me that is disceptive
advertising.

We consumers either need aggressive consumer protection regulation or
true real competition. The cable companies are fleecing all of us big
time.

(I'm also frustrated how they say they must pay for broadcast content,
yet these so-called 'pay' channels are loaded with nothing but old
reruns and a great many commercials. If they have commercials and so
many of them, why is it necessary to 'pay' for them?)

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Cable Firms Raise Set-Top Box Rates"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: "All the President's Men" (still more movie phone trivial)"
May be in reply to: Deborah Yao, AP: "Cable Firms Raise Set-Top Box Rates"