TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question

Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question

Fred Goldstein (SeeSigForEmail@wn6.wn.net)
Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:21:17 -0400

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:19:01 -0400, Curtis R Anderson
<gleepy@gleepy.net> wrote,

> In our Buffalo, NY radio market, I hear numerous ads for Verizon
> plugging "it's always on when you need it." At another point in the
> hour on the same (Citadel Broadcasting owned) station, listeners were
> treated to an ad from Time Warner Cable plugging their services.

Clever. Of course at the same time, Verizon is flogging its FiOS
product, which, like Time Warner's PacketCable, uses local battery.
Old-fashioned POTS uses central office power, of course, but many
lines now are served by digital loop carrier systems, which have their
own local batteries whose backup isn't as strong as a CO's.

I don't know if it's always the case, but PacketCable is generally
provided via an "embedded multimedia terminal adapter" -- a phone
adapter -- built into a cable modem that contains some hours of
battery backup. Older cable telephony systems, like the one Comcast
is phasing out here in the Boston area (but RCN is keeping), are