TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NANP Number Lengths

Re: NANP Number Lengths

Chris Farrar (
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:38:35 -0400

Quick try of dialing anything 1 09X XXX XXXX Y on a Bell Canada line
(with Bell Canada as the long distance carrier) goes to an intercept
after a long pause (no ringing at all) "We're sorry, the carrier
access code you dialed is not in service."

To parse your numbers another way is 109XX XXX XXX Y, which is what
most phone companies probably would, it would be interperted as
carrier access code, area code, exchange, and mising 3 more digits.
Given the above, I gather that Bell Canada is looking at 1 09X XXX
XXXX Y and then timing out waiting for the last 3 digits.

Especially as 10XXXXX is the format for alternative long distance
carrier access.

Go to Next message: Linc Madison: "Re: NANP Number Lengths"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: NANP Number Lengths"
May be in reply to: Marc: "NANP Number Lengths"