TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:29:51 -0400

In article <telecom26.75.8@telecom-digest.org>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
says:

> In article <telecom26.74.11@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest Ediot
> noted in response to Steven J Sobol:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am running a version of Windows 2000
>> which is fully up to date with security patches as issued by
>> Microsoft. The trouble, I suspect, is the NetTime 2.0b7 software

> No.

> The trouble is that people don't realize that protocols like NTP and
> apps like NetTime and AtomTime, both of which I've used, both of which
> are fine programs, DO NOT CHANGE DST SETTINGS.

> In other words, they can adjust for DST, but this year the start and
> end dates for DST changed.

> On the Linux and FreeBSD servers I maintain, I use NTP. I still had to
> manually update the DST dates on some of the older ones. The newer
> ones just required me to download new binary packages, or in the case
> of our log server that runs SuSe 10.0, the time zone data was already
> up to date because 10 is a relatively recent version. (The mandate
> went out from Washington in 2005, so there's been plenty of time for
> OS vendors to update their stuff.)

Our Debian boxes worked just fine, but we had to patch a couple of older
RH7.3 boxes.

>> puTTY stopped working because as far as it was concerned, I was
>> tampering with the time manually, and puTTY considers that some sort
>> of security issue. PAT]

> Weird.

> My WinXP laptop and my WinXP computer at the office both updated
> automatically through Microsoft's auto-update service, and PuTTY
> didn't skip a beat on either computer.

Same for me. Sounds like his host info changed and the server doesn't
recognize it. Time to hose the entry for his login in
/etc/sshd/known.hosts

In article <telecom26.75.9@telecom-digest.org>, ozzy.kopec@gmail.com
says:

> On Mar 13, 12:09 am, Brian Bergstein, AP Technology <a...@telecom-
> digest.org> wrote:

>> Few woes mark computers' daylight shift
>> By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Technology Writer
>> Mon Mar 12, 4:27 PM ET

>> <snip>

>> Most home PCs got the time patches sent automatically, but users
>> without automatic updates who now sport erroneous clocks should visit
>> their providers' Web sites such as http://www.microsoft.com/dst2007.
>> </snip>.

> ========

> Tech showed up today to fix the clock on the XP (SP1) boxes. He was
> scratching his head wondering why he was called to change the system
> clock so I showed him how us lowly users didn't have permission to do
> so. He signs on each machine, bumps the clock ahead 1 hour and heads
> downstairs to do more boxes. Comes back up only to see the time
> reverted back an hour. Tries it again, same thing. Tries changing
> it in the BIOS, weird happenings as the computer would boot with DST
> in effect, then about 10 seconds later it would go back one hour.
> Goes to M$ to apply any critical updates, same thing. He *knows* he
> read something somewhere about the problem, so he Googles away and
> sees KB931836. Applies the patch and finally everything is working.
> Burns the file to a CD and fixes the other six computers in the
> building. That still leaves around 4,000 to do :0) I'm just glad
> they sent a tech over that figured it out. Support was still
> insisting they were applying patches remotely. Considering it was
> Friday and no-one was on DST I don't think that was happening.

> Oh yeah as to http://www.microsoft.com/dst2007 - it says for us
> corporate workers to call tech support, so that's what I did. I guess
> M$ assumes your tech support actually has basic knowledge of some sort
> :-/

Your tech worker isn't worth much. Windows XP SP1 couldn't be fixed
other than downloading and using tzedit.exe.

This means your machines NEVER update since SP2 is the current
version, and it automatically applied the time zone file.

We knew about this for nearly two years, yet almost everyone chose to
act a month before the change.

Luckily in my shop, we had all hundred+ computers patched and fixed,
as we still have a lot of Windows 2000 machines.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That is _exactly_ what was happening
> here (in addition to puTTY's complaint). I can go into the clock
> settings and bump my time around but then in ten seconds give or take
> when I happen to look at the clock again it had on its own gone back
> to the old time. But I got clued in when I quit worrying about the
> time as such and instead manually set the date ahead _three months_ or
> some such; now look at the clock; all is okay. At first I would get a
> message on screen saying 'clock out of synch by some (gross) amount of
> time. Should I reset it or shut down the time server?' Then I unticked
> the warning box for that and the clock would very sneakily reset
> itself to the old time without bothering to warn me; obviously the
> computer knew best ... PAT]

First do a Windows Update on your machine. That'll probably update the
time settings as well as about 200 or so KB's and SP's.

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: EAS (was Reverse 911)"
Go to Previous message: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"
May be in reply to: Brian Bergstein, AP Technology: "Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"