TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 511 Traffic Phone Lines May Raise Crash Risk

Re: 511 Traffic Phone Lines May Raise Crash Risk

Jim Stewart (jstewart@jkmicro.com)
Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:01:49 -0800

TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have always wondered by it is safe
>> for police officers to talk on the radio while their car is moving
>> but it is not safe for civilians to do the same thing. The answer, we
>> are told, is that 'police officers have better training for same.'
>> PAT]

> I raised that question of driving while talking on the phone with an
> airplane pilot and he said pilots "multitask" All the time!

I'm currently training for a private pilot's license. It's true that
pilots multitask all the time. OTOH, for a private pilot, most of the
communications are standardized and of the form of a terse
announcement with a defined and memorized structure rather than a
2-way conversation. Furthermore, aviation english uses only 300 unique
words.

I've also heard that the only bird that can both talk and fly is the
parrot, and it can't do either very well ...

Go to Next message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: How to Change the Time on a Mitel SX-2000 Phone Switch"
Go to Previous message: Dave Close: "Re: 511 Traffic Phone Lines May Raise Crash Risk"
May be in reply to: Marie Skelton, USA Today: "511 Traffic Phone Lines May Raise Crash Risk"