TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Help Setting Up a VoIP Regulatory Framework

Help Setting Up a VoIP Regulatory Framework

Raqueeb Hassan (wideangle@gmail.com)
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:49:43 -0700

Hi,

Let's say country "A"s telecom regulatory board is trying to open-up
the VOIP (call termination) which was branded illegal since long
ago. The new regulatory commission wants to empower the people by
introducing a transparent VoIP regulatory framework with two goals:

a. Cheaper international call rate for the resident of "A".

b. Building nationwide IP infrastructure with local
entrepreneurs' e.g. cable operators, broadband companies.

The country might be as small as New York State, but the estimated
population can be 130 million. More than 60 per cent of the
populations do not have telephone access which is one of the driving
points for legalizing VoIP. The population is so huge that all the
cell phone companies (which still lacks interconnectivity with
incumbent PSTN) are earning record level profit margin. The country is
connected to only one submarine internet backbone. Most ISP's are
using low capacity VSAT's as backup service.

So, if you are asked to help on setting up framework of VoIP
regulation which might help earning revenue for this developing
country "A", what would you do?

If you ask me, here is my plan. Please correct me if I go wrong.

a. Setting up a EMUM server.

b. The ENUM server will resolve all the calls routed inbound for
Country "A".

c. The ENUM server will be connected to a "packet clearing house"
for necessary revenue collection.

d. Minimum entry fee for the service providers, with annually revenue
sharing of 5% (for example) and collected as License Fees.

e. Outgoing calls might not be charged when the system is inducted
initially. The rate is low when compared to incoming calls. The
residents mostly think that the expats will always call.

f. The service providers (PSTN, cell phone, cable companies) should
connect to that "packet clearing house" over IP, and they should own
compatible softswitches for that.

g. International bandwidth sold to VoIP operators will be through that
"packet clearing house". VoIP operators won't be allowed to have VSAT
or IPLC link.

h. Operator should not by-pass IP packet (VoIP/Internet) using any
other path (like VPN tunnels) other than they have registered. DPI
(Deep packet inspection) technology can be utilized should any
operator projects lower revenue as expected.

I haven't thought of MNP, emergency services etc. which are yet to be
implemented in Country "A". I'm not also sure about the
interconnectivity switching solution for legacy SS7 signaling and
VoIP. I saw some of the NGN switches in ZTE and Huawei channel, but
I'm a little skeptical about that.

Thanks in advance.

Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

Go to Next message: amitnimail@gmail.com: "Cavallier Telephone / Talk America"
Go to Previous message: Sinead Carew, Reuters: "Sprint Adds Some Flexibility to Service Contracts"
May be reply: Fred Goldstein: "Re: Help Setting Up a VoIP Regulatory Framework"
May be reply: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: Help Setting Up a VoIP Regulatory Framework"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page