TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question

Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:52:19 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> On Jun 4, 5:14 am, Jax <jack.zaldi ... @gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Yes, if my power is out, my TV won't work. But in my area I've found
> that once the power is restored, it takes longer for the cable service
> to be restored. We have fairly frequent 1-15 minute power outages in
> the summer. They are a nuisance since most electronic clocks have to
> be reset. Even ones with battery backup lose a minute or two and need
> to be reset if exact time is a requirement (like on the VCR).

Some VCR reset themselves by reading time on PBS vertical retrace.

> I have never lost phone service, no matter how bad the storm or power.
> (As mentioned, people with cordless phones -- many these days -- are
> out of luck).

I have my own UPS -- nowadays cable is a single point of failure for
most of us. But if a tree takes out the lines, it's going to take 'em
all out!

> Side note -- as to power, the telephone central offices have huge
> batteries good for some time in case of a blackout, but more
> importantly, contain big diesel generators (tested regularly) to
> charge the batteries if the blackout is sustained. Do cable company
> offices have such generators?

Our cable company gave us a tour of the head end in Maynard, MA where
they pick up the satellite feeds and they have HUGE battery banks and,
yes, a giant diesel generator in the front yard!

> Obviously line poles and cell phone antennas do not, but how long
> (if any) is their battery backup? IMHO, any communications related
> device should have minimum battery backup for _heavy_ use for at
> least five hours, preferably eight hours. When you consider the
> number of external junctions and cell phone antenna sites necessary
> today, 8-hour heavy duty backup everywhere becomes quite expensive.
> But it is necessary.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Something I find confusing is my
bedroom digital clock which 'sets itself' when power is off. I got
the thing at Walmart, plugged it in to test it there at the store,
and the digits immediatly zipped around and set themselves on the
correct time and date. I do not think it uses a WWV reciever in the
clock, and anyway, it does not seem to set the 'seconds', just the
hour and minutes, and the day/date. I unplugged it to pay for it and
bring it home; then tried it again out of fascination once I got it
here. It cost fifteen dollars. Does anyone have any idea how it
happens? PAT]

Go to Next message: T: "Re: Relief in Store for Cable TV Subscribers"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "Time Warner Digital Phone Question"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page