TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets

Re: Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
6 Jun 2007 11:19:46 -0400

John Mayson <john@mayson.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2007, Reuters News Wire wrote:

>> World oil prices jumped briefly on Wednesday after a television station
>> in Tulsa, Oklahoma -- the No. 62 U.S. media market -- posted an
>> erroneous story about a refinery fire on its Web site.

> Someone explain something to me.

> Why would the price of a raw material go up due to a refinery fire?
> It'd be like the price of wheat rising on news of a fire at a Wonder
> Bread factory. I could see the price of gasoline rising, but not oil.

Because it's an open market, and people will buy oil with the
expectation that gasoline prices will rise and therefore they can get
more for the raw material. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but
markets are based on human behaviour, and human behaviour often
doesn't make a lot of sense.

I _can_ see some exceptions here, though. For example, if a refinery
that specializes in catalytic cracking of heavy oil into light oil is
down, I could imagine the prices on light oil could rise. Telecom
content? Not so much, since you can't hoard telecom services.

--scott

Go to Next message: John Mayson: "Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "DSL Subscribers up 29% to 200 Million"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page