TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio

Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio

harold@hallikainen.com
19 May 2007 16:00:17 -0700

On May 18, 5:53 pm, Wesr...@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated Fri, 18 May 2007 09:43:57 PDT, Paul Coxwell

> <paul_coxw...@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I have a Star communications receiver, built in the 1960s for the
>> North American market and it has the band from approx. 1.6 to 1.7MHz
>> marked as "Police," so presumably it was still in fairly widespread
>> use at that time.

> The Oklahoma Highway Patrol used to use 1626 kHz. I don't know when
> they shifted away from that.

> Wes Leatherock

1722 and 1730kHz are still available for use by police departments
(see http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2007/90/20/) . A search of
the FCC Universal Licensing System does not turn up any licensees
using either of these frequencies. There are a lot of licensees in the
1700 to 1800 kHz region. Some of these are from the "public safety
pool," but are Travelers Information Service stations instead of
police dispatching.

Back in the late 1950s, I had an "American Five" vacuum tube radio that
had the police band marked above the AM broadcast band. In the San
Francisco East Bay area, I could hear Los Angeles police dispatch.

Harold

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page