TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies

Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Fri, 18 May 2007 14:23:45 -0500

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> I watched a number of movies on TCM lately and noticed various
> telephone dialing patterns.... In some scenes seven digits were
> dialed, but in others only five ...

Or only four. I don't remember the name of the movie, but phone number
6258 is important. The wife tries to call her husband at his workplace (a
school) by dialing the school PBX; he's not there, but the school
operator says he's at 6258. Wife then dials 6258, and a strange female
voice answers. Wife hangs up without saying anything. Plot thickens.
(Any yeah, I don't remember the name of the movie, even though I
remember the phone number, and how it figured into the plot.)

Neal McLain

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But, please remember that in smaller
towns with only one phone exchange (example 620-331) oftn times we
only orally give the last four digits when speaking with someone,
although we are required to dial all seven to make a call. PAT]

Go to Next message: T: "Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio"
Go to Previous message: David Mardiste, Reuters News: "Estonia Experts Builf Defenses After Cyber Attacks"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page