TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Attorney Generals Seek Sex Offender Data From MySpace

Re: Attorney Generals Seek Sex Offender Data From MySpace

Rick Merrill (
Mon, 14 May 2007 18:52:15 -0400

Samuel Spies wrote:

> By SAMUEL SPIES, Associated Press Writer

> Top law enforcement officers from seven states issued a letter to
> on Monday, asking the social networking site to turn over
> the names of registered sex offenders who use the service.
> Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal called the site a
> "virtual playground" for predators.

> "That combination of sex offenders and children is a recipe for
> tragedy," Blumenthal said.

The law lags technology: level3 sex offenders must keep their physical
distance from children, but this is the first time that enforcement is
taking on the 'distance' that the internet provides.

How might a law cope with this? No IM, no email, no usenet, no
forums, no wifi, no web site comeons to children?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Another thing, _how_ is
supposed to know who the sex offenders are in their midst? That's not
a question they normally ask of new subscribers. Now, there is a law
which forbids adults (sex offender or not) from engaging in sexual
conversations with minors on the net which I guess is how the law
copes with the problem. PAT]