TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic

Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic

Sam Spade (sam@coldmail.com)
Thu, 10 May 2007 16:20:19 -0700

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This is also true with the increasingly
> large number of VOIP phones on the market. Vonage even encourages
> folks to take numbers in 'any area code desired'; after all, the
> service is unlimited for $24.99 per month. PAT]

I am in Southern California and my Vonage primary number is in
Washington, DC. I also have a virtual number local to my California
rate center.

In effect, it's like having a DC foreign exchange line in Southern
Calfornia. And, with a flat-rate out-WATS line, too. Think what all
that would have cost in 1980, or so.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But recall that with Vonage and ONE
telephone line, all your outgoing (revenue producing for telco) calls
are 'rate centered' Washington, DC. You cannot dial out using the
virtual southern California line, only receive incoming calls on it.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Dale Neiburg: "Re: Welsh Operators Keep it English"
Go to Previous message: Ken Abrams: "Re: Cingular - AT&T ?"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic"
May be reply: Sam Spade: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic"
May be reply: Sam Spade: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page