TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Enterprise and Zenith Numbers

Enterprise and Zenith Numbers

Al Gillis (alg@aracnet.com)
Sat, 5 May 2007 20:25:41 -0700

In the past there has been discussion here of ENterprise and ZEnith
numbers, precursors to toll-free services. I've always thought those
services were a thing of the past now, a vestige of the former
incarnations of AT&T and the Bell System.

Well, today I received a new copy of the "official" 2007-2008 Nevada
DOT state map. In moderately large type this document claims that to
reach the State Highway Patrol "dial the Operator and ask for ZEnith
1-2000" (the 2000 issue of this map has the same instruction). I
didn't dial this number (I didn't want to get mixed up with placing
calls to emergency services just to chat!) so I have no clue how an
Oregon Verizon (nee GTE) operator would handle this call. But I was
pretty surprised to see ZEnith numbers still in service. Does anyone
have other examples of these things still around? (Wikipedia claims
the same number (ZE1-2000) reaches the California Highway Patrol and
it provides some other ZEnith numbers, presumably still in service)

The Nevada map also recommends dialing *NHP from your cellular
telephone to reach the State Patrol. I'm wondering if all cellular
carriers observe that dialing shorthand or if only a couple of the
larger services will complete those calls. Maybe on a visit to Nevada
later this summer I'll try *NHP from my "TracFone" and report the
results.

Thanks!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If the telco operators are properly
trained, they will either use their (at hand) 'flip chart' to look up
dialing instructions or perhaps they will consult with Rate and Route
(which is operated for all telcos by AT&T out of Morris, IL [operator
would dial +815+161] to get details). While Zenith and Enterprise are
no longer sold to customers, they are grandfathered to existing
customers who have had the services for (obviously) many, many years.
I am not sure about the way the number is parsed in your example. The
number is _probably_ parsed 'Zenith 12000' rather than 'ZEnith 1-2000'
All that Zenith and Enterprise did was serve as shorthand for 'place
this as a collect call' and the digits following did two things: they
served to tell _which subscriber_ had automatically authorized
'collect calls' and which 'calling band' (or geographic area) was
entitled to make such 'collect calls'. Nevada Highway Patrol would be
such a long-time subscriber. You may recall there is not normally a
/Z/ on the standard USA telephone dial, thus no way to dial 'ZEnith'-
anything ... Not even in Nevada ... :) Basically what happens is the
operator dials some number, let's call it 702-xxx-xxxx and is not
required to remain on the line asking the answering party if they
will accept a collect call. Her flip chart or Rate/Route tells her
the number to be dialed. I just love it when Wikipedia and these
other know-nothings expound on telecom subjects, don't you? PAT]

Go to Next message: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Farmers' Cooperatives (was: Re Foreign Directory Listings)"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Enterprise and Zenith Numbers"
May be reply: Mike Z: "Re: Enterprise and Zenith Numbers"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Enterprise and Zenith Numbers"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page