TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Comcast Bait and Switch, "Unlimited" Has a New Meaning

Re: Comcast Bait and Switch, "Unlimited" Has a New Meaning

George Berger (gberger@his.com)
Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:02:58 -0400

I just wish I could be one of the individuals who had this "problem" if
taking up too much bandwidth.

I live in Old Town, Alexandria, VA, and we have Comcast as our cable
provider.

A year ago, I called and asked for upgrade of our dial-up connection to
broadband cable.

I had already wired our home with a two-way splitter from the Comcast
cable entry to our home (which, by the way, provided -- and still
provides -- excellent TV reception). I used top-line Belden RG 59 cable
for the 20' run to our top floor den where we have our computer.

Cpomcast sent out a "technician" whose third language was English.
First, he couldn't deal with fact that I had a G4 iMac -- as "Macs
aren't supported by Comcast."

Then, he spent over two hours attempting to get a connection, using
his modem, but without results.

We switched to our new SB 5120, but the same results occurred.

It developed that sometime a couple of years earlier, Comcast had
placed something on our line at the toadstool -- although we had never
applied for pay-for-service or anything other than the basic and
"enhanced" programming (Law and Order on TBS). And, our useage of
cable TV had been restricted to the local channels plus TBS and the
History Channel.

He removed the device -- but the results were the same -- ZIP at our
computer.

The teccie then complained that our wiring was defective. So, I
brought in a small Sony TV that we use in our bedroom on infrequent
occasions and hooked it up to the cable junction.

The TV worked perfectly on that new cable outlet where we wanted to
attach our computer and modem -- no hash, no fringes, no static, just
a perfect picture.

The teccie then tried to tell me that the wiring was still defective, as
wiring that would pass a TV signal wasn't adequate for broadband.

At this point, I politely asked the teccie to leave -- and we have
been on an excellent dial-up since.

I just have zero faith in Comcast's capability to hire, to train, and
to let loose on the public, their view of what a competent technician
should be.

George

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
-- Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman (attributed)

Go to Next message: Carl Zwanzig: "Re: Vonage Sued to Quit Using Verizon Patents"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Analysis: European Telecom Market Heats Up"
May be in reply to: Chloe Albanesius: "Comcast Bait and Switch, "Unlimited" Has a New Meaning"