TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

Matt Simpson (net-news69@jmatt.net)
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:10:34 -0400

In article <telecom26.79.3@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
wrote:

> What is the point of requesting an account number if it isn't going to
> be automatically forwarded to the person handling the call?

> Anyone familiar with the programming of these 'automated' systems and
> would care to comment?

I'm not really familiar with the programming of the automated systems,
but I think in many cases the number is forwarded and the person who
answers the call does have your account on his screen. I think they
ask for your account number anyway just to verify that everything
worked and they're talking to the right person. They want to avoid
the possibility of a privacy breach if some signals get crossed and
they end up with a mismatch between caller and account.

That doesn't mean asking for your account number in advance is a total
waste. When the live person asks you for it again, then all he has to
do is verify that the one you give him matches the one on his screen,
and if so, he doesn't have to enter it and wait for your account to
appear.

Go to Next message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it"
Go to Previous message: The Kaminsky Family: "Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: ""Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it"