TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it

William Warren (w_warren_nonoise@comcast.net)
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:42:51 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> I telephoned a large business today. As usual, the answering machine
> asked me to enter my account number "for faster service". I did so.
> After the usual parade through many menus I was connected to an actual
> human being. The first thing she asked me for was my account number,
> even though I had keyed it in "for faster service".

> I find this happens all the time.

> What is the point of requesting an account number if it isn't going to
> be automatically forwarded to the person handling the call?

[snip]

> With today's fancy computer systems, the idea is that after getting my
> account number, my account screen is immediately displayed to the
> person handling my call, saving the time to ask for my account number
> and her to key it it. But this never happens. [snip]

> Anyone familiar with the programming of these 'automated' systems and
> would care to comment? Thanks.

Automatic Call Distribution systems are very expensive, and every
company that runs a "customer service" number tries anything it can to
cut costs, which usually means outsourcing to third-party vendors, who
sometimes have different systems, software, and displays than those
you started with at the company you called.

In other words, although their in-house equipment might record your
number, they have transferred your call to another system or company
that can't make use of the information. This is especially common in
out-of-hours call centers, where costs are low enough to justify the
added time to manually key your number into the foreign system.

HTH.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

Go to Next message: T: "Re: "Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: "Authorized Contractor" For Big Carriers?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: ""Please Enter Your ID Number" So We May Ignore it"