TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:52:37 -0400

In article <telecom26.77.6@telecom-digest.org>, ozzy.kopec@gmail.com
says:

> On Mar 16, 6:04 pm, Steven J. Sobol <sjso...@JustThe.net> wrote:

>> In article <telecom26.7...@telecom-digest.org>, Duh_OZ wrote:

>>> Tech showed up today to fix the clock on the XP (SP1) boxes.

>> Why on God's green earth are you still running SP1? Do you realize how
>> many security hotfixes you don't have installed on those boxes?

> We don't have admin rights so we can't do updates. I did ask the tech
> why we aren't on SP2 and he replied "SP2 causes problems". I then
> told him it has been a while since SP2 has been out, no? He said
> "yeah" and left it at that. My guess is "big brother" ordered no
> machines to be upgraded to SP2 unless absolutely necessary.

> At the end of next week I'll ask people in the main office (I am off
> site) if any machines are on DST. Hopefully they will come up with a
> plan that doesn't include "just wait until 02:00 on the first Sunday
> in April" :0)

Your tech just doesn't want to be bothered, that's all.

And there's a way around the admin rights on XP machines, it's called
ophcrack.

In article <telecom26.77.7@telecom-digest.org>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
says:

> In article <telecom26.76.4@telecom-digest.org>, T wrote:

>> Our Debian boxes worked just fine, but we had to patch a couple of
>> older RH7.3 boxes.

> Here's the way it went for me:

> ** Suse 10: nothing required, it shipped out of the box with the
> changes.

> ** Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3: only needed to update the appropriate
> RPM package.

> ** Red Hat 8 and 9: too old to have updated packages, end-of-life
> products, and therefore had to download the tzdata tarballs and
> compile from source. Only took a few minutes for each server.

> ** Windows XP - there were some client machines that didn't update
> properly for whatever reason (all SP2, btw). Ours at home ... all
> three of them ... did.

> ** Windows 2000 - have to manually update DST data, but it's not
> difficult to do.

>> Same for me. Sounds like his host info changed and the server doesn't
>> recognize it. Time to hose the entry for his login in
>> /etc/sshd/known.hosts

> That's it. Although PuTTY is a Windows client, so the file is
> somewhere else. I forgot about known_hosts :)

No -- I meant on the server side. If you clear your machines entry on
the server it'll then re-set the key.

Go to Next message: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"
Go to Previous message: communicationsdirect: "CommunicationsDirect News Daily Update"
May be in reply to: Brian Bergstein, AP Technology: "Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"