TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Fake Caller ID, was: Walmart Worker Taped Reporter's Phone Calls

Fake Caller ID, was: Walmart Worker Taped Reporter's Phone Calls

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 03:47:44 UTC

In <telecom26.65.2@telecom-digest. org> Julie Creswell, NY Times
<nytimes@telecom-digest.org> writes:

[ snip ]

> It is unclear whether the technician was able to sort Mr. Barbaro's
> calls from those other Times reporters might have made to Wal-Mart since
> all calls from the newspaper's New York office register on caller ID
> screens as a series of numeral 1s.

I've had numerous phone conversations with people at different offices
of the NY Times, and yes, indeed, the CNID they send out is 111-1111
(I don't recall if there was an "area code" of similar digits).

I've complained to my correspondents about it, telling them that it's
pretty ugly that they (the NY Times), choose to hide the ID. Oh, and
that many people and businesses will /dev/null calls (apparently)
coming from that number figuring it's a telemarketer.

Hmm, come to think of it ... what happens when they call a law
enforcment type? As we just discovered in the Libby verdict, lying to
the Feds is actionable ...

dannyb@panix.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: NY Times has always been, in their own
mind at least -- an exception to all the rules. PAT]

Go to Next message: communicationsdirect_daily: "CommunicationsDirect News Daily Update - March 07, 2007"
Go to Previous message: Peter Kaplan, Reuters: "Verizon-Vonage Patent Case in Hands of Jury"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page