TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bell System History Book

Re: Bell System History Book

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
10 Feb 2007 13:30:02 -0800

On Feb 9, 11:46 am, Charles Gray <charles.g...@okstate.edu> wrote:

> The Bell System History book that Lisa referred to is: A History of
> Science & Engineering in the Bell System: Communications Sciences,
> 1925-1980. The ISBN is 0-932764-06-1. It is available
> from http://www.alibris.com(and numerous others) starting at
> $32.28. I have a copy. Google the ISBN for other sources.

Sorry to nitpick, but the title citation I have is: "A History of
engineering and science in the Bell System vol. 3. Switching
technology (1925-1975)". [Not 'communication sciences'.]

Note there are a number of volumes in this series. You may be
referring to a later volume.

The ISBN on my copy "... Eng & Sci Switching Technology 1925-1975" is
0-932764-02-9, Lib Cong is 82-072517 and copyright is 1982.

Among other topics, this book covers the evolution of toll service
from operator relay to operator dialing and customer dialing. It also
covers the "service and feature" era. That is significant because
many critics of the Bell System fail to realize how many services and
technologies were indeed available.

By the way, the earlier volume covering 1875-1925 has some switching
fundamentals in it as well.

Charles Gray wrote:

> The Bell System History book that Lisa referred to is: A History of
> Science & Engineering in the Bell System: Communications Sciences,
> 1925-1980. The ISBN is 0-932764-06-1. It is available from
> http://www.alibris.com (and numerous others) starting at $32.28. I
> have a copy. Google the ISBN for other sources.

> Regards,

> Charles G. Gray
> Senior Lecturer, Telecommunications
> Oklahoma State University - Tulsa
> (918) 594-8433

Go to Next message: me@privacy.net: "Re: Use Skype WITHOUT Instaling Software?"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Windows Vista Flunks At MIT"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page