TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How to Shut Down the Net

Re: How to Shut Down the Net

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:27:25 -0500

<ellis@no.spam> wrote in message

> In article <telecom26.39.1@telecom-digest.org>,
> Ted Bridis, Associated Press <ap@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

>> Hackers briefly overwhelmed at least three of the 13 computers that
>> help manage global computer traffic Tuesday in one of the most
>> significant attacks against the Internet since 2002.

> I heard they (root name servers) were attacked but continued to
> operate. That's hardly what I'd call being overwhelmed.

Right, it sounded as if the AP newswriter was under the impression
that everything on the Internet goes through a central bottleneck --
which is precisely what the Internet is designed *not* to be.

As I understand it, only very recently changed domain addresses would
be affected by a temporary failure of the root servers.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Private Line History"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Telephone Area Codes and Prefixes"
May be in reply to: Ted Bridis, Associated Press: "How to Shut Down the Net"