TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 712 858 8094?

Re: 712 858 8094?

Wesrock@aol.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:19:58 EST

In a message dated 3 Feb 2007 03:17:00 -0000, John Levine
<johnl@iecc.com> writes:

> The always informative Local Calling Guide reveals that 712-858 is the
> tiny Superior Telephone Co-op, which strongly suggests that this is a
> USF arbitrage gambit. That is, the co-op gets a very high per minute
> settlement rate on inbound calls which is more than enough to pay the
> penny or so that most int'l calls cost and still have something to
> split.

> A little poking around reveals that this isn't the only USF arbitrage
> in this exchange:

In the 1950s I used to go to coffee and lunch often with the assistant
connecting company agent in Austin (title later changed to independent
company relations manager) and he said there were numerous small
exchanges -- often manual -- that could profitably make calls to the
town which served as their toill center and receive a latger sum under
the settlements with indepedent companies then in effect than the
amount they would be billed by the Bell Company.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Ted Bridis, Associated Press: "How to Shut Down the Net"
Go to Previous message: ranck@vt.edu: "Re: TiVo Sees if You Skip Those Ads"
May be in reply to: Michael Muderick: "712 858 8094?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page