TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming

Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
25 Jan 2007 04:25:22 -0000

Responding to Mark Crispin:

> envision? ICANN is the "Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers"; it is a registrar. They have no control over who is connected
> to the Internet. Nor do they have any control over IP address
> allocations; that is done by IANA, not ICANN.

Um, who do you think IANA is these days?

> ICANN operates the root DNS servers

Nope. ICANN operates one root server. The other roots are operated
by volunteers who can do whatever they want. So far what they want
has agreed with what ICANN has asked them to do, but as you note, it
is far from guaranteed.

> the US Department of Commerce says. They do, however, accept ICANN's
> management of the root; and obtained ICANN delegation for the .CU, .IR,
> and .KP domains respectively.

Actually, .KP isn't delegated. But .CU and .IR certainly are, and I
know at least one Iranian who regularly attends ICANN meetings.

Pat groused:

> You know, Mark, it gets really irritating listening to you and the
> other spam enablers continually apologizing for ICANN's so-called
> limitations.

Having dealt with ICANN up close and personal, it is a good thing they
are so inept, because they might do some serious damage if they
weren't.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming"
Go to Previous message: Mark Crispin: "Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming"
May be in reply to: Gary Gentile, AP : "My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming"