TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: XM and Sirius Consider Merger

Re: XM and Sirius Consider Merger

Jim Haynes (haynes@alumni.uark.edu)
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:03:21 GMT

Klay Anderson <klay@klay.com.remove> wrote:

> In article <telecom26.17.5@telecom-digest.org>, Neal McLain
> <nmclain@annsgarden.com> wrote:

>> PARIS -- The two big U.S. satellite-radio companies, XM and Sirius,

> Yeah, but the FCC Chairman Kevin Martin says not according to US laws:

> <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=alWomkStRxIg&refer=home>

I can understand how a merger of the two companies results in a
monopoly, and will probably result in higher charges and less consumer
choice. Yet what if only one company had entered the market in the
first place? Would the FCC have demanded that they go out and find a
competitor before allowing them a license?

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Go to Next message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: Want an iPhone? Beware the iHandcuffs"
Go to Previous message: Angus TeleManagement Group: "Telecom Update #563, January 19, 2007"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "XM and Sirius Consider Merger"