TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: HTML newsletter (was Re: Telecom Update #561 (Cana

Re: HTML newsletter (was Re: Telecom Update #561 (Cana

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:23:48 PST

jmeissen@aracnet.com 7 Jan 2007 08:25:04 GMT wrote:

> OUR NEW LOOK: Beginning with this issue, the e-mail edition of
> Telecom Update will be published in HTML instead of plain text. We
> will fine-tune the design over the next few weeks, to make
> Canada's most-widely-read telecom publication even more readable
> and usable. We welcome your comments and suggestions: please
> email them to ianangus@angustel.ca.

> Big mistake. HTML email is a primary vehicle for spam and phishing.
> Some organizations are going as far as banning HTML email.

> I for one will never subscribe to a newsletter which does not provide
> a text-only option.

> John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Nor will I, and I have suggested to Ian
> Angus that this may be a mistake by their company. PAT]

I'm really at a loss why people think that "dressing up" a piece of
information makes the information better or more valuable.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There are some advantages to 'dressing
up' the information. For example, having the ability to change type
faces and fonts as desired within the text. Also, being able to add
links to supplemental information where applicable. Like Ian Angus, I
have thought about converting TELECOM Digest to an 'all-html' style
publication, but upon further reflection have decided the potential
troubles with same would outweigh the good points. Unlike Ian Angus,
my decision several years ago was to primarily concentrate on text
and build my html output around that, but maintaining the 'text only'
version as well. If you chose to look at http://telecom-digest.org for
example, in many ways it winds up looking 'better' than this text
edition, particularly if you see how the supplementary links are woven
right in with the text itself. And, there is a more pleasant
background to the pages, IMO. If you look at http://telecom-digest.org
I think you will be able to see that the 'original build' was text
rather than html, which is how I like it. PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Macworld San Francisco 2007 Keynote"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: ICANN Will Create '.xxx' Porn Domain"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page