TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Should Kids Have Cell Phones in School?

Re: Should Kids Have Cell Phones in School?

Steven J. Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 05:43:41 +0000 (UTC)

In article <telecom26.8.10@telecom-digest.org>, Henry wrote:

> Steven J. Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>> We just got a phone for our teenage girl. It's great because it offers
>> safety and convenience.

>> But she'd better not ever have it turned on during school.

> Hel-lo!

> (1) Parents say 'Don't ever do that!'

> (2) At the very first opportunity, teenager does 'that'.

Indeed, which is why I've never told her "don't use your cellphone at
school." ;)

Actually, she's a good kid, and has high aspirations along with very
good grades that I don't think she wants to screw up (or she'd not be
able to get into the career she wants), so I'm not worried about her
doing silly stuff like that that will get her into trouble.

In article <telecom26.8.11@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity for discussion purposes, how does it offer
> "safety"?

She doesn't go anywhere without parental supervision right now, from
us or her friends' parents.

As she becomes more autonomous, the safety issue will come into play.

> For myself, I got one primarily in the case my car breaks down. If
> your daughter is driving, then that is a reason, especially nowadays
> with few pay phones out there. (However, in ten years I have yet to
> use the cellphone for that purpose.)

She's only 14, but yes, that was one of the reasons I was thinking of,
along with other situations where she will not have parental
supervision.

Yes, right now it's 99.9% convenience and 0.1% safety. :)

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Go to Next message: T: "Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International"
Go to Previous message: Will Dunham, Reuters: "Tiny New Cable Spurs Big Technological Advances"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Should Kids Have Cell Phones in School?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page