TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:17:33 -0500

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message

> If a system passes the Turing test, does it deserve the same rights
> as a human being?

No, because the Turing test is arbitrary and rather silly. It is not
based on any real theory of what consciousness is. ELIZA passed a
Turing test of sorts. Turing meant it only as a minimum threshold.

> If so, what about people who do not pass the Turing test? Do they
> deserve the rights they currently have?

> As Eliza always said, "Tell me more about the Turing test."

ELIZA is a better conversationalist than some people at parties!

Go to Next message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: Spam Surge Drives Net Crime Spree"
Go to Previous message: David Wolff: "Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"
May be in reply to: Sharon Gaudin: "Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page