TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:23:22 -0500

"Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

> mc wrote:

>> There's been tremendous progress in robotics and AI, but it hasn't
>> been aimed at achieving humanlike consciousness. Why should it be?
>> We're building tools, not dolls.

> Networked intelligence >> AI?

No closer to "unlocking the secret of consciousness," and anyhow, we're
building tools, not dolls.

The human brian is not a Von Neumann CPU, but it is also not an Ethernet.

As Weizenbaum pointed out with ELIZA in 1966, it's easy to build
machines that fool people into thinking the machines are conscious.
But that's just fooling around.

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: Emailing to a Computer-Free Zone"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"
May be in reply to: Sharon Gaudin: "Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"