TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?

Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
27 Dec 2006 21:41:20 -0000

> But in both AT&T and Verizon's cases they also have significant
> cellular holdings. I guess they can't comingle the funds between the
> operating units.

Verizon Wireless is owned 55% by Verizon and 45% by Vodafone, so it
really is a separate company even though it is co-marketed with a lot
of Verizon's own products. I hear Verizon would like to buy the other
45% but Vodafone doesn't want to sell.

Cingular is an LLC that is owned about 2/3 by what is now AT&T and 1/3
by Bellsouth. If the merger happens, then I presume they will
integrate it in, and I have heard reports that they plan to rename
Cingular to AT&T Wireless. (Presumably this will let them use up all
the old stationery they have lying around from the last great
renaming.)

Nonetheless, both are well placed to weather the shift from landline
to wireless although you wouldn't know it from the way they whine.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: USTelecom dailyLead: "New Twist in Hutchison Essar Takeover Tussle"
Go to Previous message: Sam Spade: "Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?"
May be in reply to: AES: "AT&T Residential Rate Increases?"