TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phones and Cancer

Re: Cell Phones and Cancer

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
21 Dec 2006 11:00:04 -0500

Rick Merrill <rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

> One tool that lets cell phones work is that the base (cell tower)
> tells the cell phone how much power to use. In other words if you don't
> pull up the antenna you brain will be subject to the max power output.

Umm ... no ... if you don't pull up the antenna, the phone won't be
able to radiate much even on maximum power output because the antenna
is inefficient.

I think it's pretty clear, though that the RF is not much of an issue
when it's below the levels where tissue heating is a problem. Not
that there are not plenty of secondary behavioural issues. I know a
lot of people who can't talk on the phone without a cigarette. Now
that they have cell phones, they find themselves smoking a lot more.
The phone has indeed increased their cancer risk, though not directly.

--scott

Go to Next message: USTelecom dailyLead: "FCC Votes to Change Video-Franchising Rules"
Go to Previous message: panoptes@iquest.net: "Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?"
May be in reply to: Charles Gray: "Cell Phones and Cancer"