TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies

Re: Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
20 Dec 2006 09:39:54 -0800

Associated Press News Wire wrote:

> Shugart helped pioneer the multibillion dollar hard drive industry, in
> which Seagate now holds the leading market position. He founded the
> company in 1979 and left in 1998.

Just a tiny clarification -- the hard disk drive was invented and
marketed by IBM 50 years ago, announced in their product line in Sept
1956. IBM also invented the floppy disk as well.

I understand IBM sold off its hard disk drive line recently; I don't
know why. Peripherals used to be quite profitable.

[public replies, please]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Caller ID Showing Which Calling Card Used???"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: High School Student Charged in Computer Hacking Scheme"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies"