TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: High School Student Charged in Computer Hacking Scheme

Re: High School Student Charged in Computer Hacking Scheme

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:04:36 -0500

In article <telecom25.416.5@telecom-digest.org>, Rick Merrill
<rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems so easy that it did not feel like a crime at the time. In a
> corporation some of the blame would be placed on the IT executive that
> permitted such sloppy security.

Come on. Even if you don't think that it's a "crime", do you really
think he thought it was permissible to change grades?

And while the IT person certainly was negligent to leave passwords
sitting around, that does not excuse the student's behavior. Just
because you *can* do something doesn't mean it's OK to do it. Does
such a thing as ethics exist any more?

If I don't lock my front door, does that mean I can't press charges if
my house is robbed?

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: High School Student Charged in Computer Hacking Scheme"
Go to Previous message: Chris Farrar: "Caller ID Showing Which Calling Card Used???"
May be in reply to: Douane D. James: "High School Student Charged in Computer Hacking Scheme"