TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electrical Grounding

Re: Electrical Grounding

Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT (hornetd@mindspring.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:42:59 GMT

Dan wrote:
> What is the effect of having an electrical ground close to a telecom
> (telephone land line) ground and what is the recommended distance they
> should be apart.

Electrically speaking the answer is zero. The most important thing
about power and communications grounding electrodes that serve the
same structure is that they should be bonded together to form a single
grounding electrode system. If the two grounding electrodes are not
combined into a single system then differences between them will
equalize destructively through expensive electronic equipment and
appliances. Best practice is to build one grounding electrode system
and use it for all of the wire carried utilities that enter your home.

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Go to Next message: Bob Vaughan: "Re: Electrical Grounding"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Electrical Grounding"
May be in reply to: Dan: "Electrical Grounding"