TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Diebold Source Code Leaked Once Again

Re: Diebold Source Code Leaked Once Again

jmeissen@aracnet.com
26 Oct 2006 23:30:11 GMT

In article <telecom25.372.9@telecom-digest.org>, Scott Dorsey
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> How can I be sure that my vote is being counted if I am casting it
> into a black box whose internal software is a complete unknown? As
> long as the voting machine is a closed mystery, how can we be sure
> elections are free and fair?

They could take a lesson from the gambling industry. Manufacturers of
gambling devices used in Nevada (and elsewhere) have to meet strict
requirements and pass thorough inspections before they can be used.
Among other things the manufacturer has to submit both the source code
(and all required build tools) and the executable image (which is
retained for later verification) for analysis and testing. The box has
to meet certain physical requirements, such as running the code out of
ROM (not Flash memory) or be able to verify a copy running in RAM
against a ROM copy, must keep circuit boards inside a protective cover
that has a security locking mechanism, and a slew of other hardware,
software and communication requirements.

Believe me, the gambling industry takes "trust" seriously.

(for the curious, http://gaming.nv.gov/stats_regs.htm#regs,
specifically Regulation 14)

John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Diebold Source Code Leaked Once Again"
Go to Previous message: John Riddell: "Telecom Update #552, October 27, 2006"
May be in reply to: Robert McMillan, IDG: "Diebold Source Code Leaked Once Again"