TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage

Re: NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 03:53:15 UTC

In <telecom25.332.7@telecom-digest.org> Anthony Bellanga
<anthonybellanga@gonestraighttohell.com> writes:

> Many RBOCs have been retro-fitting traditional "looking" payphones
> originally made by AT&T's Western Electric, and many independent LECs
> have been retro-fitting their traditional "looking" Automatic Electric
> payphones and Northern Telecom traditional Centurian payphones, with
> internal "smart-chips".

Part of the extended divestiture broohahahahaha was that the local
telcos had to provide the same "equal access" for coin operated
payphones to customer-owned equipment as they did to their own house
brands.

This was way, way, too messy on many levels.

At least in NY, and I suspect just about everywhere else, the local
telco simply ended that type of access years ago and replaced their
own phones (the internal guts, so to speak) with COCOT type "smart"
circuitry.

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage"
Go to Previous message: Sam Spade: "Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage"