TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?

Mark Crispin (mrc@cac.washington.edu)
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:08:46 -0700

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, njem wrote:

> The phones I've had and those of some friends all just show a number
> for caller ID but not a name. On my home phone these same callers will
> show with name and number. Is it certain phones, or certain services,
> or the whole cell/mobile system that drops the name? And why? Caller
> ID loses most of its value when the name is dropped.

If you are talking about display of caller ID on a cell phone, the cell
phone network does not transmit name. If a name is displayed in caller ID
on a cell phone, that is because you have the name and number in your cell
phone's phonebook.

Also, cell phone subscribers often do not have their names in the database
for caller ID names that are transmitted to wireline phones. Often the
name in the database is the name of the company, or "wireless caller", or
the name of the city where the phone is registered. A few companies will
register names.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

Go to Next message: Bill Michaelson: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
Go to Previous message: Chris Farrar: "Re: Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"
May be in reply to: Sam Spade: "Why no Name With Caller ID Number?"