TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Mike Spencer (mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere)
13 Sep 2006 02:09:12 -0300

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> Many companies today answer their phone with a long winded answer. As
> a customer, I find it annoying and distracting. Which do you think is
> best?

> a) "Jones & Co."

> b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

Taking into account the aging population, not to mention younger
people with hearing loss from loud music, a) is too short. People
hard of hearing need a few words to accommodate to the the speaker's
voice and a little redundancy to make sure that what they think they
heard is what they heard. So b) is much better.

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I direct your call?"

Meets the criteria for the hard of hearing but a bit silly to thank me
for calling til they know what I have to say. And I don't need John's
name if he's just going to pass me on to another number.

> d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

Gak. Hang up now. Call somebody else.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Go to Next message: Marc Haber: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "ACN"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"