TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

ranck@vt.edu
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:03:43 +0000 (UTC)

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> Which do you think is
> best?

> a) "Jones & Co."

> b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

Either of the above is good, possibly adding "John Smith speaking" to
a) or substituing "John Smith" for the company name in b)

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I direct your call?"

If it's a receptionist, then eliminate the person's name and it's
still good. A little long winded, but OK.

> d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

Gack! This is just begging for smartass answers and comments from
customers. Some management school hotshot learned that the language
used and phrases spoken by employees can affect tone and
professionalism of a transaction, but didn't quite get the real idea.
Being polite and professional is good, over-reaching into smarmy is
bad.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - September 12, 2006"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"