TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:36:30 -0400

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote in message

> Many companies today answer their phone with a long winded answer. As
> a customer, I find it annoying and distracting. Which do you think is
> best?

> a) "Jones & Co."
>
> b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

Both good.

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I direct your call?"

A bit longwinded.

> d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how
> may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

> While waiting in line at the video store, the clerk had to answer the
> phone with D. To me, that was a waste of time, especially when other
> customers are waiting.

In fact, it is management-babble, a sort of Orwellian Newspeak that
comes out of the mouths of people who draft "mission statements" that
consist mainly of superlative adjectives making claims that, on the
face of them, are false.

Isn't there a computer program somewhere that makes up vacuous mission
statements at random on request?

Go to Next message: Henry: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: Jerry: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"