TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Feds Just Can't Hack It

Re: Feds Just Can't Hack It

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:06:06 EDT

In a message dated Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:26:23 -0500, Daily News
Editorial <dailynews@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> By all indications, our nation's most sensitive data and computer
> systems have woefully poor protection against hackers, thieves and
> terrorists.

[ ...Remained deleted... ]

What "Daily News" is this? There are many papers across the country
called "Daily News" and which one it is would appear to be a
significant factor in assessing the credibility of the story.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It was the New York Daily News, of July
25 and the author was their columnist Errol Louis. Sorry about that,
and I am reprinting it here below. PAT]

Feds just can't hack it

By all indications, our nation's most sensitive data and computer
systems have woefully poor protection against hackers, thieves and
terrorists. Scandal could turn into national tragedy if the Department
of Homeland Security doesn't get its act together pronto. It has been
more than a year since Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff
promised to name an assistant secretary devoted to cyberspace security
-- but the job remains unfilled. There are few takers for the job --
in fact, three cybersecurity officials resigned -- because the White
House decided to put the chief of information security in a
low-ranking slot, without daily access to Chertoff.

This bureaucratic foolishness and paralysis comes more than three
years after the White House published a 60-page National Strategy to
Secure Cyberspace, which noted that "in the past few years, threats in
cyberspace have risen dramatically ... We must act to reduce our
vulnerabilities to these threats before they can be exploited."

Computers and the Internet are used to control and coordinate
airports, radio stations, electric utilities and radio communications
between first responders. Imagine how much worse the panic and death
toll on 9/11 might have been if New York were left without electric
power, without access to computers and without working phones, radio,
television or traffic lights.

A cyberattack could plunge all or part of the nation into chaos.

Still, federal bureaucrats have their heads stuck in the sand. In May,
red-faced officials at the Veterans Affairs Department acknowledged
that sensitive personal information on more than 26 million veterans -
including names, addresses and Social Security numbers - had gone
missing. The data wasn't lifted by hackers: it was stored, uncoded, on
a computer taken home by a government official whose last security
background check took place 32 years ago.

It gets worse.

The head of the VA acknowledged he wasn't even informed of the data
theft until two weeks after the fact. And while the computer
eventually turned up with no harm done, Pedro Cadenas, the agency's
cybersecurity chief, quit -- telling Government Executive magazine that
"the department has no interest in doing the right thing," and that
he'd only met the Veterans Affairs secretary once, at a social event.

The laxity of the Veterans Affairs Department isn't an isolated case;
several federal departments -- including Defense and Homeland Security --
have received a grade of F for the past few years on a Computer Security
Report Card issued by Congress. The government's overall grade is D-plus.

Every day, according to a recent report in The Washington Post, hackers
make more than 2,000 attempts to crack the Department of Agriculture's
computers -- and apparently succeeded a few weeks ago, leading the agency
to announce that personal data on more than 26,000 contractors and
active and retired employees may have been stolen.

Last year, an unknown intruder got into a computer at the National
Nuclear Security Administration, a division of the Department of
Energy that monitors the safety and reliability of military nuclear
weapons. Information on more than 1,500 agency workers and outside
contractors was stolen. Incredibly, the security breach wasn't
reported to senior officials; it was buried with more than 830 other
incidents the agency experienced last year. Hiding such breaches is
common, according to government auditors.

Years before the 9/11 terrorist attack and the destruction of New
Orleans, federal officials were warned about grave danger, and did too
little to prepare for it.

Chertoff has got to do better -- before it gets worse.

Originally published in NY Daily News on July 25, 2006.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. This Internet discussion group is making it available without
profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the
understanding of literary, educational, political, and economic
issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I
believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish
to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright
owner, in this instance,

For more information go to:

Go to Next message: Eric Auchard: "Google Wins e-Bay non-USA Ads"
Go to Previous message: support@sellcom.com: "Re: Widow of Tombaugh 'Shook Up' by Decision"
May be in reply to: Daily News Editorial: "Feds Just Can't Hack It"