TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Computer "Logic" in 1922 Panel Switching

Re: Computer "Logic" in 1922 Panel Switching

Jim Haynes (haynes@alumni.uark.edu)
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:42:35 GMT

In article <telecom25.306.9@telecom-digest.org>, Dennis Ritchie
<dmr@bell-labs.com> wrote:

> Actually, there's tons of stuff about sequential circuits in KR&W, of
> which I have multiple copies, including Keister's personal copy signed
> by the authors. I helped empty his house when he moved to Cape Cod
> and he gave it to me -- and the Ritchie was my father.

> The book was published in 1951, and the thing it doesn't have much
> about is transistor (let alone integrated) circuits. About as much
> space (a few pages) is on cold-cathode tubes.

I agree there is lots about sequential circuits -- my argument is that
the approach used in KR&W is more of a cookbook approach -- circuits
that have been worked out to solve specific problems -- and that it
was Huffman who worked out the way to analyze sequential circuits
using Boolean algebra.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Go to Next message: David Koenig, AP : "Court Blocks Order to Turn Off Dish DVRs"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Computer "Logic" in 1922 Panel Switching"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page