TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: City Party Line Service

Re: City Party Line Service

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

bv124@aol.com Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:12:10 -0700 wrote:

> Back in the late '60's and early '70's, in Carbondale, IL (GTE), we
> had what was called "suburban" service as we were fifty (50) feet
> outside the city limits. This was a ten (10) party line where each
> line rang uniquely (no coded ringing.) When you dialed a toll call
> (1+), an operator came on the line and asked for the number you were
> calling from for billing purposes!

> I think it was a SxS office.

ONI (Operator Number Identification) was the norm for anything above a
two-party line at least for the Bell System or at least it was ...

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force"
Go to Previous message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "City Party Line Service"