TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force

Re: Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force

DLR (news23@raleighthings.com)
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:44:12 -0400

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Actually, the 'Great Depression' is
> normally dated as the last three months of 1929, along with 1930-33.

While the people working in the late 30s had it much better than in
the early parts of the depression, 1/4 to 1/3 of the adult male work
force did not have a steady job as of 12/7/41. What ended the
depression was the war and the massive government spending on said
war. Now what kept it away after the war is the subject of endless
political and economical debates to this day. Although there was a
fairly severe recession/depression in 46/47 as all those GIs came home
with nothing to do until a lot of them decided that college was an
option.

Go to a college where they have the photos on the wall of the
graduating classes. In the KY Engineering college it was amazing to
see the huge spike in the early 50s but the rates stay much higher
than before the war after that due to folks just getting better
educations than the previous generation.

Go to Next message: Sam Spade: "Re: Clueless Hollywood"
Go to Previous message: John L: "Re: Why I am Opposed to Net Neutrality"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Dial Conversion - Depression Labor Force"