TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Clueless Hollywood

Re: Clueless Hollywood

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:36:40 PDT

Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:30:38 -0500 Ron Kritzman
<ron@dbOnayAmspaYmasters.com> wrote:

> I was channel surfing the other night and caught a minute or two of a
> movie allegedly set in Chicago. In front of Wrigley Field, on the
> Addison Street side, with the famous red marquee in the background, one
> of the main characters was making a call from a Verizon pay phone! Who
> knew? Not subtle either. Big logo with the checkmark and the red Z.
> C'mon guys, if you're going to do product placement at least place it
> where it lives.

Unless the film was supposed to be 20 years ago the possibility that
it could be something other than Illinois Bell or Ameritech is very
real. I was in MSP (Minneapolis/St. Paul airport) and all throughout
the airport the pay phones were Ameritech when the local provider in
the twin cities is Qwest. So it is possible that Verizon could be a
"COCOT" contracted by Wrigley Field or the property owner.

That said many film companies aren't really very good about telephone
"authenticity" when you'll see someone depositing money into a single
slot "fortress" pay phone and you'll hear "ding-ding" when they insert
coins (ding-ding went out when three slot payphones went out.) Or when
you see an older film showing a 'candlestick' or old WECO 302 have the
ringing sound of a WECO 500 or showing a British series and they use
American telephones. The assumption is that people do not notice
these inaccuracies (except us telecom nerds of course!)

Go to Next message: ranck@vt.edu: "Re: Clueless Hollywood"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges"
May be in reply to: Ron Kritzman: "Clueless Hollywood"