TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Touch Tone Grocery Shopping - Promise Never Realized?

Re: Touch Tone Grocery Shopping - Promise Never Realized?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:21:47 -0000

In article <telecom25.291.11@telecom-digest.org>, R. T. Wurth
<rwurth@att.net> wrote:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in news:telecom25.290.8@telecom-digest.org:

>> Ironically, today supermarkets do take credit cards which annoys me
>> since it adds to the cost of the food. Indeed, pizza places, fast
>> food, and convenience stores take credit cards too.

> I'm pretty much a cash shopper myself, but I do wonder about the
> economics of credit cards vs. cash and checks.

> Disadvantages of cash or check/advantages of credit:

> 1.) Banks charge big cash depositing businesses a counting fee to
> deposit cash.

> 2.) Banks charge businesses a fee to deposit checks.

> 3.) Merchants bear the risk of bad checks, but for a fee can hire check
> guarantee companies to screen their checks at the point of sale and
> guarantee payment of those it approves.

> 4.) Banks charge fees to big customers for rolled coins and wrapped small
> bills used to make change. (What a racket--banks charge on both ends of
> the transactions!)

> 5.) Counting the cash tendered and making change slows up the line,
> perhaps enough to require adding staff.

> 6.) Stores were already required to put in electronic card-based
> payment systems as part of food stamp conversion from coupons to
> electronic cards, (either convert or lose all the business of food
> stamp customers) so none of the infrastructure costs are attributable
> to credit cards. (Note to non-US readers: food stamps are an
> agriculture subsidy/welfare program, whereby the poor receive
> coupons/electronic credits that can only be spent at qualified food
> merchants for the purchase of qualified foods (no liquor, candy or
> soda) processed in US factories from US agricultural products.)

> 7.) Handling all that cash poses several theft risks (embezzling
> cashiers, embezzling managers, armed robbers), and imposes increased
> security costs (installation of time-lock safes, armored car service
> fees).

> 8.) For merchants who require presentation of a physical card,
> validate the transaction with the issuer's clearing house and collect
> a customer signature along with a card imprint or magstripe data, the
> merahcnt's bank makes funds available at the close of the current
> business day and guarantees payment with no chargebacks for
> counterfeit or stolen cards (unless there is clear evidence of fraud
> that the merchant was in on). (Chargebacks from customer disputes are
> a separate matter).

> Advantages of cash and checks/disadvantages of credit cards

> 1.) Credit card clearing houses charge a considerable percentage fee on
> transactions.

> 2.) Disgruntled customers can generate chargebacks far after the date
> of the transaction, which also trigger the merchant's bank to assess
> penalty fees.

> Where does the balance of these factors lie? I have no idea, but it
> seems to me it's not necessarily the no-brainer in favor of cash over
> [...]

Most merchants would 'prefer not' to take credit cards. The 2-3% (minimum)
that card-issuers/clearinghouses charge _is_ a big bite out of profits.
Grocery stores, for example run a profit margin of about 4%. Either they
give up *half* their profits, or they raise prices.

Unfortunately, in many businesses, accepting 'plastic' is a "business
necessity -- too much of the competition does, and a significant share
of business will 'go elsewhere' (to somebody who does take plastic),
if you don't. You've got the 'unpleasant' choice to make, between
losing business, and losing profits.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: SS7 VS TCP/IP"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: Three Walmart Customers Arrested for 'Aid to Terrorists'"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Touch Tone Grocery Shopping - Promise Never Realized?"