TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: SS7 VS TCP/IP

Re: SS7 VS TCP/IP

DLR (news23@raleighthings.com)
Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:54:45 -0400

mailursubbu@gmail.com wrote:

> I am very new to the Telecom world. I have a basic doubt. Why people
> are using the SS7 protocol instead of TCP/IP Stack.

> Best Regards,

> Subramanya

SS7 was there first. Now there are literally billions of dollars of
equipment in place. Tossing that in the trash isn't economically
feasible. When SS7 was designed (I think) TCP/IP didn't exist and for
all practical purposes couldn't exist due to limits in the processing
power of the electronics of the day.

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: SS7 VS TCP/IP"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "EchoStar, DirecTV Team For Top Bid in Spectrum Auction"
May be in reply to: mailursubbu@gmail.com: "SS7 VS TCP/IP"