TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NYC Broadband

Re: NYC Broadband

Sam Spade (Sam@coldmail.com)
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 06:41:25 -0700

DLR wrote:

> NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us wrote:

>> There is DSL at various speeds from Verizon.

>> There is RoadRunner and Earthlink cable broadband via Time Warner.

>> Apparently you can get 5mbps for $19.99 x 6 month followed by
>> $44.95 x six months from Earthlink via Time Warner. This averages
>> to $32.48 a month for a year of 5mbps.

>> Anyone have opinions on the Earthlink broadband in NYC?

> Earthlink broadband is a resale of an incumbents last mile. So if the
> last mile with DSL or cable is ok, it comes down to would you rather
> do business with Earthlink, your cable company, or your phone company
> as a broadband provider. I've dealt with Earthlink, TimeWarner, and
> Bellsouth here in Raleigh NC and would take EL any day of the week and
> pay a premium to do so compared to the other choices.

I would go for speed for the buck. Cable wins over DSL handsdown.
Cox now offers a higher tier residential broadband for $55 a month; 12
megabits down, 1 megabit up.

Find that with your friendly (read: predatory LEC that wants now to
own the Internet and charge by "message" units) and their lousy DSL.

Go to Next message: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "Re: NYC Broadband"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Los Angeles Step by Step - Network Management (Hist"
May be in reply to: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "NYC Broadband"