TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Parking a Couple of Phone Numbers

Re: Parking a Couple of Phone Numbers

DevilsPGD (spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net)
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:41:29 -0500

In message <telecom25.267.5@telecom-digest.org> Gordon S. Hlavenka
<nospam@crashelex.com> wrote:

> I owned a retail business that went belly-up a few years ago. I've
> been hanging on to the phone numbers in case I get an opportunity to
> restart things; hundreds of customers have them memorized :-)

> Anyway, I'm currently in 630-832 (Elmhurst, IL CO); one of the numbers
> is also 630-832 and the other is 630-691 (Lombard, IL CO).

> My first plan was to port them to Vonage. But Vonage won't take a
> commercial number on a residential plan, and since I'm just parking
> them I don't need the pricey business plan. So I asked SBC (now AT&T)
> to convert them to residential. To do that, I had to first make them
> unlisted/nonpub, then wait for the next directory to print; then I
> could call and convert them to residential service.

> Well, the directory printed, I called back, and it turns out I can
> only convert the 832 number to residential because the 691 number is
> RCF'ed from the other CO and apparently RCF is not available on
> residential lines. The rep started suggesting all kinds of call
> packages and features to "help" me so I just told her firmly to make
> no changes whatsoever to the account, and now I'm working up a Plan B.

> All I really want is to retain control of these numbers, at minimal
> cost. I don't need them to physically terminate anywhere -- in fact I
> didn't plan to even use the Vonage TA, I'd just have them
> simultaneously ring to my cellphone.

> My current plan is to see if I can port 691 to my T-Mobile cell
> mid-term (which, BTW, I am SO dumping T-Mobile as soon as my contract
> runs out, but that's another story) and then convert 832 to
> residential and port it to Vonage or some other VOIP provider.

> Any other suggestions?

A $100 T-Mobile prepaid SIM is good for a year, after that it's
$10/year to keep the account active.

Perhaps not the best solution, but I doubt you'll find much under
$8.33/month (for the first year) and definitely not under $0.83/month
every year after that. If you ever do decide to give them up, you'll
have some prepaid accounts worth some money to resell too.

You don't need phones, just SIMs, which will probably bump your
starter cost from $100 to $120-$130 to buy the SIM -- Or find someone
who is equally unhappy with T-Mobile and will give you their SIM.

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Go to Next message: Ken Abrams: "Re: Parking a Couple of Phone Numbers"
Go to Previous message: dp@icmail.net: "Odd Dialing Code"
May be in reply to: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Parking a Couple of Phone Numbers"