TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers - VoIP

Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers - VoIP

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:47:37 -0400

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> In article <telecom25.263.9@telecom-digest.org>, Rick Merrill
> <rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>>> This is all false. Why do we have this same discussion over and over
>>> again every few months?

>> Well, you don't say where you think you got your information.

> I got it from 10 years of design and analysis experience with the
> underlying protocols; that it is impossible to "spoof" calling party
> ID in properly configured SS7 networks whose operators do not configure
> trunks to _customers_ as if they were trunks to _network equipment_ is
> simply a matter of fact.

> As all the interworking standards make clear, any interworking to a
> protocol which does not differentiate between customer-provided and
> network-provided calling party identification must either use the
> supplied number as a customer provided number only, or replace it with
> the BTN for the trunk.

> Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

> "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
> aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

How may SS7 are in use with a VoIP call? As few as zero for PC 2 PC.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers Ahead"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "For Millions of Africans, Cellphones Signal a Change"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page