TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Bell Labs, Jansky, and the Jansky Monument in Holmdel

Bell Labs, Jansky, and the Jansky Monument in Holmdel

AES (siegman@stanford.edu)
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:52:00 -0700

Some of you may be interested in this:

Re: petition Save the Cradle of Radio Astronomy

Dear fellow members of . . .

As you probably know, the Bell Labs property in Holmdel, NJ, is
currently being sold to a real estate developer. It may be resold
again after development. The property has been in Bell Labs possession
for over 75 years and includes the cradle of radio astronomy where, in
1931, Karl Jansky observed the first radio waves of extraterrestrial
origin.

In 1998 Bell Labs erected a Karl Jansky Monument on the exact location
of the original Jansky antenna. The goal of this petition to the
Governor of New Jersey, to the Mayor of Holmdel, and to the new
owners, is to secure the preservation of this site and its public
access in the future. A copy of the petition and further detail on the
site and its history can be found at http://www.lsst.org/jansky.shtml

We hope that you are one of the members of . . . who will support this
petition by agreeing to be listed as a signatory. If you agree, please
send your approval by e-mail to . . . where it will be stored for
record (this will serve as an electronic signature, no other action is
required).

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Unfortunatly, AES did _not_ provide us
the email address where we should send our approval or signature. If
AES will write again with the address to which responses should be
sent, I will print that message as well. PAT]

Go to Next message: Gyuri: "USB Phone With Yahoo Messenger?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Microsoft, Yahoo! Joins Forces in IM Pact"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Bell Labs, Jansky, and the Jansky Monument in Holmdel"
May be reply: Arthur Kamlet: "Re: Bell Labs, Jansky, and the Jansky Monument in Holmdel"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page